This page briefly describes how to use this web site; for a more thorough
explanation please refer to the PDF manual.
The biodiversity menus allow you to select a species distribution or species
richness map for display. The menus are dynamically filled depending on you
selection in the previous menu. For example,
- selecting Amphibia in the
Taxa menu causes the Family menu to be filled with all families
of amphibia that are represented in the database along with the **Species
- From the Family menu you can:
- Select Species Richness which will trigger the
display of a map showing the current distribution of the previously selected
- Select any of the other options which will trigger
the filling of the Genus menu with data.
- From the Genus menu you can
- display species richness map for the previously selected taxa/family,
- select a particular genus which will trigger the population of the
- A selection within the Species menu will display the distribution
map for that species.
When a biodiversity map is loaded, 7 different datasets are loaded into the map. These are
- Current distribution
- Average predicted distribution for emission scenario
A1B_A30r5l for the years
- Average predicted distribution for emission scenario SRES_A1B
for the years
Initally, the current distribution is displayed on the map. You can view the
other maps by using the map controls
The second tier of menus allows you to select maps showing different climate
variables. The displaying of a map is triggered by the selection of a
Bioclimate variable provided suitable timelines, global climate models (GCM)
and emission scenarios have been selected.
- Selecting Current in the Timeline menu only requires a
Bioclimate variable to be selected. GCM and Emission Scenario menus are disabled.
- The selection of any other timeline requires a GCM and emission scenario to be specified before a bioclimate variable is selected.
On the right-hand side of the map is the control panel. You can collapse and expand the panel by clicking on the icon. As biodiversity or climate layer maps are selected from the menus they are added to the Data Layers section. You can turn on and off maps by checking and unchecking the view box. You can remove individual maps from the display by deleting them using the icon. To quickly clear all datasets from the map view, click on the Clear button next to the Data Layers label.